I swear that there's something wrong with me... I'm lacking, like, confidence or something. Certain things I would have done without hesitation 3 years ago I can't even bring myself to do now.
For example, on the way back from dinner with Kat and Cheryl, there was this guy waiting for the same train, and he got off at the same stop. Throughout the journey, he kept glancing my way and ditto for me. But guess what? Even while walking the same way out of the station, I couldn't even bring myself to look him in the eye and SMILE. For God's sake, it's not like I was going to go up to him and parade around and get his number! I feel like such a blithering idiot.
BUT, on the walk back, these boys made a pass at me and I just turned around and waved with nary a thought. What's up with THAT?!
I can't wait to leave for Melbourne. Undoubtedly, I will miss my friends and family here, but being overseas in an unfamiliar environment can sometimes bring out the better you.
My sis, who's been in Dubai for exactly one month, is so different now! She's pretty much brimming with self confidence and her shy demeanor has almost completely disappeared. From what I heard, she totally gets along and includes herself seamlessly in conversation with my mom's guests. Wow.
It's probably because while Singapore does have its advantages being clean, orderly and "civilized", it lacks a certain element that compels its citizens to be more street-smart. The students here are often so protected and well-looked after by their 2 generations worth of parents and relatives that they needn't mind for their personal well-being.
That being said, I refer to today's papers that mentioned "ugly" Singaporeans on the train. While the majority still push and shove their way onto them, I'm glad to say that there is at least a handful who stand aside and allow others to alight first. I guess the bright yellow lines are showing their benefits now, half a decade down.
Sigh... Amazingly, I AM gonna miss the people here. And Kat and Cheryl really made my week. I don't know many people who willingly buy a drink at sit OUTDOORS at Starbucks for 3 hours straight just talking about everything and nothing, stone and not get bored, not complain and just enjoy everyone's company. I honestly hope the 2 of them will be among the people I will stay in touch with.
*Time for a new layout!* Too many people have complained :( I WILL work on it this week, PROMISE!
1:42 AM